[mythtv-users] Superserver

mythtv at blandford.net mythtv at blandford.net
Tue Aug 24 19:54:08 UTC 2010

On 08/24/2010 12:28 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 8/24/2010 14:59, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
>> I am hoping the CAT6 for remote HDMI works well. I just paid a grand
>> to have that put into a house I am having built. This will allow me to
>> have all FE/BE in the basement. The cable runs are around 50feet
>> typically. I bought some dual cat6 ---> HDMI adapters from monoprix
>> for pretty cheap.
>
> 50ft HDMI cables are pretty easy to come by, and they're easily as cheap
> as 100ft of CAT6 and some adapters. Also remember that HDMI is a
> shielded twisted pair cable. You're trading one STP cable rated for
> 10gbps for two UTP cables rated 1gbps each.
>
> For $1000, plus whatever you need to spend on four video cards on your
> backend, and a board to support four video cards, you could easily put
> together four dedicated machines to sit next to the TVs.

Agreed.

I use a 50 foot HDMI cable from my backend to my master bedroom using an
GT220 card.  The HDMI carries the video and the audio.

I then bought a usb->cat 5 adapter as well.  In the bedroom I use the
MCE receiver to cat 5, then cat 5 through the ceiling, and back to USB
in the closet.

For my frontent setup in the living room, I have a small mini-itx setup
with the MCE receiver.  I run minimyth on this system.  It goes to sleep
and wakes up from the remote without any issues - just like any other
appliance.

Michael