[mythtv-users] Superserver

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Tue Aug 24 18:44:34 UTC 2010

Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> Time for a whole new setup.
>
> My goal is to reduce power consumption and # of computers.
> I have one backend now and 4 frontends.
>
> I am thinking I would like to use one superserver ( 8 cpu, lots of
> disk, and 8+gigs of RAM ), and try to reduce the # of computers.
>
> Uses also include a NoMachine server for Family use.
>
> I am thinking that I would like to use VMware or VirtualMachine but
> that causes problems.
> Does anyone have any ideas for how to combine some or all of this?
>
> A frontend dedicated just for a Nvidia 210 forf HDMI for each TV seems
> wastefull.  The MythBackend could also be a frontend, but that is only
> one gone.
>
> Any ideas from anyone or experiences on what might work?

I did this last year.  A big /powerful server in the basement, moved to
Atom/Ion frontends with no disk, usb boot, and a bunch of thin clients
running LTSP.

Still looking for a good solution for running some windows apps, but so
far it's working good.  Not sure about a lower power footprint though, I
didn't have good
data to begin with and I don't think my power bill dropped a lot.  I do
have less maintenance to do though, my having to maintain many different
installs has disappeared.