[mythtv-users] US Pay-TV loses subscribers for the first time ever

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 24 13:03:16 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:05:38 am Tyler T wrote:
> > We used to be able to get the Denver stations with a good antenna, but
> > that went bye-bye with the move to digital. My "improved" situation went
> > from 7 or 8 channels to 1. Thank-You US Government.
>
> ...bigger antenna?

Some spam filters would key on that :-)

More like a taller tower but there are limits to what you can do there, within practical economic limits.

We are 100 miles from Denver, and in the VHF days it was marginal. The move to UHF means it pretty much has to be line-of-
sight.

The real thing is that we could tolerate marginal signals with NTSC, putting up with noisy pictures, but it was watchable.
With ATSC it's all or nothing, there's no such thing as a noisy, ghosty digital picture, instead you get nothing.

I'm not aware of anyone who has successfully received any Denver station here in Cheyenne.