[mythtv-users] US Pay-TV loses subscribers for the first time ever

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Mon Aug 23 20:31:26 UTC 2010

On 8/23/2010 3:27 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> IF you live in an area with decent reception of several channels, and have an antenna system that can deal with it.
>
> In my market here I have precisely ONE OTA channel available, and I don't watch CBS much, so it's pretty much useless.
>
> We used to be able to get the Denver stations with a good antenna, but that went bye-bye with the move to digital. My
> "improved" situation went from 7 or 8 channels to 1. Thank-You US Government.

Yikes.

Fair enough, except for those in the boonies.

Although, I would think that your local municipality could arm-twist the local CATV provider to
cough up OTA's on the line for something cheap. (Although I agree, is that really reasonable to pay $11 (comcast) for something
that should be free?) In your case, you'd go from 1 back to 8.. but I agree it seems unfair.

  -Ben