[mythtv-users] Fuppes, PS3MediaServer and NUV files

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Aug 23 14:18:32 UTC 2010

On Monday, August 23, 2010 08:06:54 am Phill Edwards wrote:
> > The 360 can certainly play at least some MPEG2 files, it wouldn't be able
> > to handle DVDs if it couldn't. The problem is "MPEG2" is not so much a
> > "standard" as it is a blueprint for confusion, given the high number of
> > variables the "standard" includes.
> >
> > It should be able to play any DVD-compliant MPEG2 files, no matter how
> > they get to it.
>
> I see. So if I don't transcode my DVB-T recordings I may be able to
> watch them on my XBox360 by having PS3MediaServer serve them up to it.
>
> Trouble is, I am transcoding my DVB-T recordings to NUV format (which
> I understand is some sort of MPEG-4), so do you think there's no way
> that's going to work? Has anyone got this working?

NUV is a container format, not a codec. MPEG4 is a collection of somewhat-related codecs, which can be put in several
different containers. I don't think it's correct to call NUV any sort of MPEG4, though an MPEG4 encoded video could be in
an NUV container.

I doubt a 360 could cope with the NUV container, regardless of whether it can technically deal with the codec contained in
the container.

Are you just re-containerizing your DVB files? Or are you re-encoding the contents first? Why? Are you wanting to reduce the
file size or do you have other reasons?