[mythtv-users] Advice on LIRC blaster and receiver ?

Peter Abplanalp pta-myth at psaconsultants.com
Mon Aug 23 13:37:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Paul <paul at paulhurley.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to setup a combined FE/BE in my lounge to grab stuff from my sky box.
>>  For a blaster I have thought of building a combined serial one, but a few
>> posts I've seen suggest that might be problematic.  What have others done ?
>>
>> Other options are the IguanaWorks USB blaster.  Anyone else have any
>> experience with this ?
>
> As I've said in umpteen other replies to this same question on this
> list, the answer is "get an MCEUSB transceiver". :)

i can second this.  i got an iguana works ir transceiver first and had
some issues with it.  the customer service at iguana was responsive
but at some point they just kept saying it was an lirc issue.  i
bought a couple mceusb transceivers to try because they are so cheap
and they work flawlessly.  after buying the mceusb transceivers, i
figured out that the issue with the iguana was probably due to it
getting overwhelmed by the ir noise coming from my plasma set.  i
figured this out because the mceusb transceiver i got has an led that
lights up when it is receiving ir signals and it is continuously lit
up when the plasma set is on.  the blaster also has an led so you know
when it is sending ir signals.  the led's are very nice to have and
the iguana works receiver doesn't have one.  you can use a blaster
with an led though.

btw - the mceusb hardware doesn't seem to have as much trouble with
the ir noise; although, if anyone knows how to filter the ir noise
from a plasma set, i'd love to hear about it.  i've tried plastic wrap
and masking tape to no avail.

-peter