[mythtv-users] Hope for ATI Cards???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Aug 21 18:48:09 UTC 2010

On Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:29:47 pm Douglas Peale wrote:
> On 08/21/2010 07:41 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > Not that I would suggest buying ATI video cards for a Myth system right
> > now, but for those who already have them, this may bode well:
> >
> > http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/08/20/234248/Open-Source-2D-3D-Drivers-
> > For- ATI-Radeon-HD-5000-Series
>
> This behavior is precisely why I have an ATI card in my system.
> The lack of this behavior from nvidea is why they were not considered.

Granted the nVidia "binary blob" drivers are not open source, but, at least up till now, they have simply worked better
than anything available for ATI cards.

Many Linux users do not completely understand what Open Source really means. Of course there is a lot of misinformation
out there. I clicked on a "What is Open Source" link on the Ubuntu site, and the explanation started out "It is sponsored
by Canonical...". I reported this to the Free Software Foundation, thinking they would be upset about such an explanation
of OSS, but their response was that they didn't care about "non-free" software, though I did notice that page changed in a
day or two.