[mythtv-users] Combined Atom FE/BE /w GT220 ?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Aug 19 04:55:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:43 PM, James Harris
>> <james.harris555 at live.co.uk> wrote:
>>> * Ditch the Atom dream, buy the lowest clock AMD or Intel CPU with a Mini-ITX board with a proper x16 slot, accept slightly higher power usage for guaranteed performance and flexibility.
>>
>> The 45w sempron w/cpu freq scaling probably actually weighs in right
>> about the same power-usage wise as the atom, so long as the cpu is
>> idle most of the time (which if you're not doing commflagging and
>> using vdpau for playback, probably would be the case).
>>

> Jarod,
>
> How do these chips work for doing commflagging?

Don't know exactly. My backend box is a core 2 quad, and I have all
commflagging done there.

> I don't need real
> time, but I would like something reasonable.  I have a Athlon 3100+
> right now, so that is my point of comparison.

iirc, the 45w sempron is clocked at 2.7GHz, so it ought to smoke an
Athlon 3100+ for commflagging, and probably does do faster than real
time for a single mpeg2 HD recording at a time (don't really know for
sure about mpeg2).

> Also, do you know of any motherboards that take this chip and also
> have built in graphics capable of VDPAU?  I am guessing most AMD based
> boards that have built-in graphics use ATI GPUs, but just checking.

Don't know of any offhand, but there are some boards out there still
with nvidia geforce 8200-ish class graphics that will take these
chips. My main[1] frontend is currently a 65w dual-core athlon x2 on
an amd 785g (iirc) chipset motherboard with amd something graphics
onboard, but I use an nvidia gt220 video card.

[1] the "main" frontend doesn't actually get used nearly as much as
the secondary one, which is upstairs, where the kids watch stuff most
of the time, especially during the summer when the myth box has very
little to record. The secondary frontend is an asrock ion330 pro right
now.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com