[mythtv-users] Problem switching from mobo ATI video to PCI-attached nvidia video on new FE

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 10:18:15 UTC 2010

I am trying to install Mythbuntu 10.04 on a new FE-only box.  The
mobo, ASUS M4A785-M, has a built-in ATI video function, but alas,
there is no S-video port.  It has "everything else" -- hdmi, dvi, vga.
 So, I plugged in an nvidia 8400GS PCI card.  The mobo will not
disable the on-board video, but only make the PCI video higher
priority.  Through several attempts to install Mythbuntu, everything
seems to work fine until I get to the end of the install.  If I chose
to load the proprietary nvidia driver during the install, when I
reboot I get stuck with an error about not being able to find an ATI
video bios rom.  If I stay with the ATI video during the install, boot
up Mythbuntu and install the nvidia driver, it wants me to reboot the
whole system to switch over.  -- There oughtta be a way to just switch
the video.  If I, instead, try to run nvidia-settings, it recognizes I
haven't done the switchover and says "come back when you have".  If I
reboot, I get the ATI video bios rom complaint, if I change the bios
video priority, or a black screen of indifference if I don't -- and I
_did_ try alternately having the video monitor (vga) connected to the
nvidia and the ATI for different reboots.  All the time, the TV has
been connected via S-video to the nvidia card and nary a peep out of
it.

I haven't given up yet, but figured someone here may have already been
down this path and can save me a few steps in the maze.

TIA,
Craig.