[mythtv-users] Issues with 2 video cards on Slimline 2030n/Ubuntu 10.04

Jessica Perry Hekman jphekman at arborius.net
Mon Aug 16 01:57:00 UTC 2010

I got the GeForce 8400 video card which Tortise found:

 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127342&cm_re=8400gs-_-1

Installed fine once I figured out about the half-height brackets.
Remember, there is an AGP card as well which cannot be removed.

Booted machine with LCD monitor attached to the VGA port and s-video ->
TV attached to s-video port on new PCI card. TV showed the boot up
sequence (low graphics mode). Monitor was dark.

Rebooted with s-video not attached. Now the monitor works, but Ubuntu
booted into low graphics mode.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to configure it so that it
does not enter low graphics mode. It appears that the AGP card is
interfering somehow.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log ends with:

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  195.36.24  Thu Apr 22 09:34:29 PDT 2010
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01 at 00:00:0
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Best I can tell, it's starting a server for the AGP card, and a server
for the PCI card, and not finding screens for the AGP card, and then
bailing.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated; I am sorry to have so many
questions for this list!

Jessica