[mythtv-users] Episode numbers in MythTV

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 21:19:47 UTC 2010

On 14 August 2010 16:03, Glenn Sommer <glemsom at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/8/14 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>:

>>> I know... I'll have a look at XMLTV.pm and see what's considered valid
>>> and what's not - it's been a while since I've looked at it.
>>
>> Checking the snippet with tv_validate_file from the current stable
>> release of XMLTV (0.5.57) gives:
>>
>> $ tv_validate_file badep.xml
>> Line 8 Invalid episode-number '2/2'
>> 1 error found.
>>

>> The episode-num validation step requires the format I mentioned
>> earlier in the thread. Your data does not validate.
>>
>> The cause of your problems seems to be the fact you are not using the
>> official XMLTV dk_dr grabber. This was added back to the XMLTV project
>> in April 2010 after an xmltvdk dk_dr developer (Thomas Horsten)
>> graciously allowed his 3rd party grabber to be used as a replacement
>> for the broken "official" dk_dr grabber. The official version of the
>> grabber outputs the periods to separate the series, episode and part
>> numbering, although only episode number/total information is provided.
>>
>> I suggest you change to the offical grabber, or at least use a grabber
>> that generates valid XMLTV output, as this is what MythTV imports.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nick
>

> Ohh you,re right, that was actually a copy/paste error.
> The output is actually like: <episode-num system="xmltv_ns"> . 1/10 .
> </episode-num>

> This, for some reason DOES validate...

... because that is now a valid episode-num string, although it is
providing an episode number, not a part number (see the XMLTV DTD for
the different meanings). The dots are the important separators which
determine whether the string is valid or not.

As syndicated episode number is being populated, MFDB seems to be
doing what it should /at the moment/. As I mentioned earlier in the
thread, I have plans to work on a patch to improve episode numbering
support but this won't be until 0.24 is released.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott