[mythtv-users] HDPVR and lirc_zilog assistance

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Fri Aug 13 15:02:04 UTC 2010

Jim Morton wrote:
> From the wiki page http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HD-PVR
>
> Following the "Compile LIRC Modules for IR Transmitter Support " steps
> and it seems I'm close but I feel like a blind man here. I don't know
> what I'm doing.
>
> My Streamzap remote has stopped working and the lirc_zilog won't seem
> to load on a reboot.
>
> Questions -
>
> At step 4 it says "If you have other lirc devices on this box you'll
> need to download and compile updated drivers for them as well. Copy
> the needed source to this working folder..." Okay, there was already
> 'lirc_streamzap.c' in this directory, it came with the
> "hdpvr-blaster-drivers.tar.gz", so I assumed I was good to go. Am I
> missing something here? My remote worked up to the point of following
> these instructions so I must have borked it somehow. But re-reading
> this a hundred times has not getting me there.
The lirc system is a tricky beast.  Can you make sure the
lirc_streamzap.ko file is still on your system?  If so, what is the
modification date?

You might have used the HDPVR drivers and overwritten your streamzap
lirc driver with and older one and how your stream zap hardware is not
recognized.

If you know how you can go to the lirc website and grab the latest
releaed version, extract the stream_zap.c file and place it in with your
HDPVR lirc drivers and try to recompile.

> After I 'modprobe lirc_zilog', dmesg shows it is loaded. But then If I
> reboot dmesg has no mention of it. Is 'modprobe' supposed to load
> things permanently?

No, modprobe loads drivers when requested, mostly by udev.  There are
ways to make drivers load depending on your distribution.  If I recall,
I thought lirc would load the drivers when configured properly.
> I haven't even started on the "Steps to enable IR transmitter" yet. It
> says to install LIRC for my distribution. Shouldn't I already have
> that? This is Mythbuntu 10.04 and my Streamzap remote worked (before I
> started all this) so I'm thinking it already has LIRC installed and I
> can skip this step. Can anyone confirm?

The HDPVR driver will be your transmitter.  I would just try to get your
HDPVR blaster and stream zap modules loading at the same time.  Once you
get that far, you can figure out the transmitting portion.
> PS. I am willing to pay someone (more knowledgeable than myself)  to
> connect to my system remotely (via webex or something) and complete
> these steps. I sent a request to the myth-contractors group but it
> seems no one was interested.

Tempting.