[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.23 backend suddenly auto-expired a ton of recordings...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 13 04:21:41 UTC 2010

  On 08/13/2010 12:13 AM, f-myth-users wrote:
> It's also weird that, judging by some recent reports I've seen, it
> seems to expire things in such a random order.  (I seem to recall
> another relatively-recent "it expired everything" bug report, again
> saying things went in a random order, but I can't find that, either;
> the most-recent example was a spider hitting someone's mythweb---not
> the expirer at all---and I'm definitely not thinking of that one.)

The "randomness" of the order has to do with which file system is in
use/needs something expired.  So, if MythTV records to a file system
that only has shows recorded this week on it and another file system has
shows recorded 7 years ago, it will expire something from this
week--because, well, expiring one of those shows from 7 years ago won't
help us fit /this/ recording on /this/ file system.

Again, though, in all my time with MythTV (since Feb 2004), there has
never been (TTBOMK) a case where "the autoexpirer went crazy".  Its
failure mode has always been to stop expiring things when they needed
expiring (which usually results in a file system filling up).  If
someone has information on a case where that's not true, I'd love to see it.

Mike