[mythtv-users] combined frontend/master backend can't connect to master backend server

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 20:26:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Craig Cook <cncook001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've had the "Error Unable to connect to the master backend" error recently as
> well.  For me it was due to my router being powered off.
>
> That seemed to kill my network interface.
>
> Another thing to check, if you are using DHCP for your backend now, check the
> currently assigned IP when you get this error, your router may have given you a
> fresh one.
>
> Craig

This could actually be it.  My router has been acting very funky and
sometimes kills my internet connection, although my computers within
the subnet can communicate with each other.  Is your system a combined
FE/BE?  Before, when the IP address was set to 127.0.0.1, it did not
need to use the router to connect, but now that I have assigned the
new IP address, which my FE/BE gets from the router, maybe that is the
problem?

The router always gives the same IP address.  Although the FE/BE uses
DHCP, the router is set to assign that MAC address the same IP address
always (same with the other computers in my network) so I can
specifically avoid issues with port forwarding for web and ssh traffic
and can mount my samba shares using IP address instead of hostname.