[mythtv-users] combined frontend/master backend can't connect to master backend server

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 16:42:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>  On 08/11/2010 07:35 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>>
>> value                    data            hostname
>> BackendServerIP         192.168.1.101   localhost.localdomain
>

> I highly recommend using a real hostname.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend

I know I should do this, but I doubt it will fix my immediate problem.
 I literally was able to see that the backend was listening on the
correct port and then later when I came home and tried to watch a
recording (which I could do when I saw the backend was listening)
everything went kaput and netstat indicated the backend was no longer
listening.

I am happy to accept that it is a hardware problem and I need to build
a new machine (which I have been meaning to do ever since VDAPA came
out), but obviously if it is some software issue, I can troubleshoot
that first.