[mythtv-users] s2-liplianin or v4l-dvb drivers

Yianni Vidalis yiannividalis at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 10 18:45:16 UTC 2010

I am just writing this so that others that might have similar problems benefit.

My previous backend was debian 5 (2.6.26 kernel), and the dvb-s2 card is a Skystar HD2. When I bought it, the only available drivers (mantis module) were from the s2-liplianin repository and I had no problems.
At the same I had (still have actually) an opensuse 11.1 slave backend, with a lifeview trio PCI card (Analog, DVB-T and DVB-S - which I don't use). For consistency reasons, I installed the s2-liplianin drivers there, although the card was recognised with no problem with the stock kernel.

Upgrading the SB to opensuse 11.2 (2.6.31 kernel) started showing some problems with the dvb-t part of the card, i.e. after long inactivity the dvb-t channels were untunable. The pc had to be powered off, not just restarted, because upon restart dmesg would complain that the tda10046 chip was unresponsive. However, because there are just 4 of those channels that I don't watch a lot, I didn't pursue the matter further.

Then I decided to move the master backend to opensuse 11.2. After a lot of bumps (already posted some) I am up and running. BUT, the skystar has started showing similar symptoms, requiring restarts of the pc (no shutdowns, though).

Googling this, I found other people facing similar problems with the liplianin drivers and mythtv, so I switched to the v4l-dvb branch first on the MB and then on the SB, and I can say after some hours that the problem is gone. I don't think it's too early to tell because the systems would become unresponsive after so much as 1 hour of inactivity.

Yianni.