[mythtv-users] Nvidia issues after upgrade

John Haywood john at jhit.com.au
Tue Aug 10 05:38:50 UTC 2010

On 07/08/2010, at 2:27 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 12:01 PM, John Haywood <john at jhit.com.au> wrote:
>> I recently upgraded my mythbuntu box from 9.10 to 10.04, with medibuntu and
>> avenard repos.
>>
>> The nouveau drivers were loaded by default, which I have blacklisted and
>> installed the 256 nvidia eries from the avenard repo. This builds and loads
>> perfectly.
>>
>> On reboot X tries to load, but dumps me back into the login window. I can
>> only perform a console login at this point.
>>
>> If I drop down into  run level 3, log in as root, then startx, all works
>> with nvidia driver and all.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> yes, read /var/log/Xorg.0.log (before running startx as it will
> overwrite the log, although I think one or two are kept by default).
>
> By the way startx is not used by *buntu, gdm starts X.

Thanks for that, Nick, but I've checked the logs and there's no errors there - just a couple of warnings regarding te Sony Bravia's misreporting its capabilities, but no fatalities. I wonder if GDM is failing to start the session correctly, but I'm not so familiar with GDM....

Also the mysql service seems not to reliably start - a bit hit and miss, and, even if it does, mythbackend never starts.
Upstart (start mythtv-backend) fails, showing a success message with PID, but no process running, and the only current way to start the backend is the use 'mythbackend &'. This lasts for about 10-12 hours, then dies

should I break this question p into smaller queries to the list, or change Subject, as it really looks as though the upgrade has not taken properly...

thanks

John Haywood

 Apple Certified System Administrator