[mythtv-users] Comcast STB Firewire vs HDHomeRun

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Aug 8 14:00:19 UTC 2010

On Sunday, August 08, 2010 07:48:40 am Chris DiLorenzo wrote:
> We're going to be moving in with my brother-in-law for a while.  The room
> we are staying in will have a Comcast STB.  Right now, I have no idea if
> it has firewire or not.  Let's assume it does.  I also have an HDHomeRun
> available.
>
> Is there a significant advantage to using one over the other?  From what
> I've read, the firewire port may not even be active and if it is all I'll
> get are the unencrypted channels.  I can get the unencrypted channels from
> the HDHomeRun.  Is there a chance I could get some of the encrypted
> channels through the firewire?  Or is this one of these things I'll just
> have to try?

Yep, no way to know for certain  until you try.

But I wouldn't expect anything from firewire that you can't get as clear QAM. You might get some channels that are not 5C
protected, but don't bet the farm on it.

Assuming the available channels are the same, and that F/W works as it should, the advantage of F/W is you can use it to
change channels, and it eliminates an additional box (the HDHR).

The HDHR will probably be easier to get working than firewire, but of course YMMV.

Be prepared for a fight to get a box with working firewire. There's a link to the FCC ruling in the firewire section of the
WiKi.