[mythtv-users] Hauppauge Nova-TD-500 fails, "DiB0070 I2C read failed"

Dan dansto.well+myth at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 17:08:45 UTC 2010

2010/6/29 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>:
> On 28 June 2010 22:32, Dan <dansto.well+myth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi -
>>
>> Our myth box with dual Hauppauge tuner works fine on boot, but then
>> overnight it often stops being able to tune to anything, meaning our
>> scheduled recordings fail. I think it happens about the same time as
>> this appears in /var/log/messages:
>>
>>  Jun 28 01:51:18 boxname kernel: [105744.068079] DiB0070 I2C read failed
>
> Dan,
>
> This used to be a common issue with the dual tuner Hauppauage cards
> (although there are/were Nova-T 500 and Nova-TD 500 cards). If you
> have both tuners set to use active EIT collection in mythtv-setup,
> trying switching one off (to use passive EIT collection) to see if
> this helps. Historically, this did seem to improve stability.

Thanks, this workaround works great - have not needed to restart for
about a month.

One problem with this though: scheduled recordings now don't use the
second tuner (i.e. if two recordings scheduled for the same time, myth
can only record one).

Digging into the database, I can see (for example) I have Film4 twice
in the "channel" table, once with chanid 1015 and once with chanid
2015. (Both have "Film4" as name and callsign, and 15 as channum,
27136 as serviceid.) They have different sourceids (1 vs 2) matching
my tuners in "videosource".

Recording rules (in the "record" table) always appear with chanid 1015
if I schedule something that's on Film4 (even if the rule is the
channel-agnostic "Find and record one showing of this title").

Is there something I'm missing about the recording rules? (i.e. why
the seemingly-channel-agnostic rule stores a channel ID? or maybe the
second tuner isn't being matched with the EIT?)

Dan