[mythtv-users] NVS-160M in Dell E6500 256M RAM Nope 512M Video RAM

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Aug 7 03:12:53 UTC 2010

Hi Peoples

Having found no information about this anywhere I report for anyone else wondering similar.

Question: Is a Dell E6500 with a vdpau B grade "256M RAM NVS-160M" (and 1920x1200 screen option) any good for a mythtv FE / docking
station / desktop etc?

While the video ram information for this series does not seem to be readily available, it seems 256M RAM is also (Dell D830
documentation describes similar for that Latitude when fitted with the NVS-140M option but I did not find a similar clarification
for the Dell E series) borrowed from the main RAM (4G RAM in my case) to make 512M, as reported by the NVIDIA setting GUI and also
corroborated by the system monitor.  So the 512M Video RAM mythtv requirement is OK.  Indeed I've now run 1080i H264 on the set so
it should be all go.

This E series no longer have the HD component capability (VGA still though) and also no HDMI, however does have the displayport out
instead.  The port replicators also add DVI but the separate SPDIF / Digital out (present on the D series Replicators) presumably
has vanished into the digital displayport (and DVI?) connectors.