[mythtv-users] Is it possible to have a time-shifted content shuffle involving slave backends?

bhaskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Fri Aug 6 20:57:26 UTC 2010

Kichigai Mentat wrote:
> Here's the situation. I want to start playing around with Free-To-Air
> satellite stuff in the Midwestern United States. The problem is that I
> live at the bottom of a hill, and if I want to receive North American
> FTA feeds, I'm in trouble because of trees, and, well, this huge hill
> I happen to live at the bottom of. If I want to try to get European
> FTA feeds, I need to bore a hole through the Earth.
>
> My neighbors across the street, however, have a clear line of sight
> with the appropriate patch of sky, and already have a Ku band dish
> installed. They're good friends with my family, and I know they use
> Comcast cable instead of DBS, so the dish is essentially abandoned.
>
> With a directional antenna, I can pull in my WiFi network, but I know
> that the bandwidth would be inadequate for even standard definition
> "live" MPEG-2. Assuming they wouldn't mind if I stashed a laptop in
> some obscure corner of their garage (where the dish is located, and
> knowing them they wouldn't mind, so long as I promise to fix their PCs
> when they break), would it be possible to have a slave backend cache
> recordings until they're complete, then send them over to the master
> back-end for viewing?

Once in a while, when other tuners/boxes are busy I use a Thinkpad
laptop to capture ( firewire ) from either of two STBs.
These (2 ) are setup as backends + mythweb.
The programs are selected using another Thinkpad by mythweb.
It's really quite surprising just how well this works.
One box has a HD + a Compact Flash in an adapter and the other has just
a hard drive.
The one that does not have the SSHD does stutter once in a while but is
generally
quite good.
After the capture I just transfer the file to one of my front ends for
playback.
I don't know how you will get the video from the dish but this might
work for you.

I hope to be trying this soon using a HDHR in the mix if Woot ever!!!
gets around to shipping it.