[mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Fri Aug 6 18:54:44 UTC 2010

On 08/06/2010 11:39 AM, Jessica Perry Hekman wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 02:06:44PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>

>> The Revo has HDMI and VGA output only, no composite/S-video.  This may
>> not be the best choice if you want to hook it up to an older CRT TV.
>>
> Ah, I had overlooked that. There are HDMI-to-svideo converters available
> for around $20, right? Is that a good solution to this problem? If not,
> should I be looking at a different system? (Or are most systems set up
> for HD *or* non-HD but not both?)
>
> Thanks,
> Jessica

I've used a cheap one before (actually VGA to s-video), and it just
wasn't worth it to me.  The thing wouldn't remember its settings (like
the left-right-up-down-size controls) when turned off, but even worse
than that, I would get tearing when watching video.  You'd probably be
happier using an old computer monitor and computer speakers (or a
stereo) in the meantime, until you can afford a new TV with HDMI, DVI,
or VGA input.

There are some expensive scan converters that do a good job, but for
that amount of money, it probably makes better sense to buy a computer
wih an s-video out instead.