[mythtv-users] Plans for front & back end Myth boxes

Jessica Perry Hekman jphekman at arborius.net
Fri Aug 6 16:38:17 UTC 2010

You all may remember that a week or so ago I was trying to get tv-out to
work on my nvidia card so I could use my Ubuntu desktop for both normal
desktop use + as a Myth box. You guys helped me realize it wasn't going
to be able to act as Myth frontend unless I bought it a new graphics
card.

I sat down with my boyfriend and we decided if we were going to get into
purchasing hardware, it probably made some sense to have a dedicated
box. So here is the current, extremely tentative plan:

* Front end: leaning towards Acer Aspire Revo: inexpensive, and looks
like it will support HDTV (I do not have an HDTV TV, but would like the
option for the future)

* Back end: for now, keep using my HP Pavilion Slimline 3020n + Ubuntu
Lucid. Can purchase a new back end in the future if need be. Location is
such that it can be connected by ethernet to the front end.

* Data input: for now, just bittorrent stuff. My roommate is about to
get FiOS installed. If I wanted, I could get a Hauppage card for the
desktop at some point and get input from FiOS, but that can be a project
for the future (perhaps to do at the point that I decide to jump for a
dedicated back end). All the shows I watch are available on bittorrent
for now.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan to you all? Easy to implement +
not too expensive? Expandable for the future? Anything I am missing?

Thank you!
Jessica