[mythtv-users] Myth on Xen domU?

MarcT myrdhn at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 13:22:22 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Simon Hobson
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 5:39 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Myth on Xen domU?

MarcT wrote:

>So far so good, but I was looking to see if anyone else has ever
>done this before and what they have to say about it.

Well ... it works !

I have an AMD64 3200+ (single core, not particularly powerful by
todays standards) running Debin plus Myth (Backend) from the
Debian-Multimedia repo. Myth is one of several guests, and everything
runs on a single 1.5TB Western Digital Green drive. A single HVR-1110
(IIRC) does multirec, and it can record two programs while playing
another through a frontend.

It struggles if it tries to commflag a recording, while recording
two, while playing back ! That is an I/O limitation I suspect.

So no, you aren't breaking new ground.

--
Simon Hobson

I'm questioning if I want to do a domU for my primary backend at this point.
Just trying to build the system is giving me headaches, I'm at the point
that I have all prereqs installed and myth is bombing on compiling a known
working version of trunk, it's actually already built and running on the
dom0.
I just "rebooted" the domU to try and get it to complete the build. I have
had to do that several times throughout the entire build process of the
system. Kind of like swap space is not getting cleared or something. My
original backend prior to the new machine was an old AMD64 but mine was a
dual core it worked fine with 512meg. I gave the myth domU 2 processors and
512meg of ram to match the old system and started the build process. Several
programs however would not build in that config. I bumped it to 1gb of ram
because of a program that would not compile, and later had to bump it to 2gb
because another program. I'm making headway but when my original machine was
a dual core with 512 and this vm is at 2 cores and 2gb at this point and
running into issues that I never saw on the old machine.
Since Debian uses a prebuilt package system I'm assuming you haven't seen
these types of issues.
At this point I am seriously considering running my backend off the dom0 and
having a VM for the windows machine only.

MarcT