[mythtv-users] Is it possible to have a time-shifted content shuffle involving slave backends?

Kichigai Mentat kichigaimentat at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 08:15:44 UTC 2010

Here's the situation. I want to start playing around with Free-To-Air
satellite stuff in the Midwestern United States. The problem is that I live
at the bottom of a hill, and if I want to receive North American FTA feeds,
I'm in trouble because of trees, and, well, this huge hill I happen to live
at the bottom of. If I want to try to get European FTA feeds, I need to bore
a hole through the Earth.

My neighbors across the street, however, have a clear line of sight with the
appropriate patch of sky, and already have a Ku band dish installed. They're
good friends with my family, and I know they use Comcast cable instead of
DBS, so the dish is essentially abandoned.

With a directional antenna, I can pull in my WiFi network, but I know that
the bandwidth would be inadequate for even standard definition "live"
MPEG-2. Assuming they wouldn't mind if I stashed a laptop in some obscure
corner of their garage (where the dish is located, and knowing them they
wouldn't mind, so long as I promise to fix their PCs when they break), would
it be possible to have a slave backend cache recordings until they're
complete, then send them over to the master back-end for viewing?