[mythtv-users] Output to h.264

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Aug 5 23:11:08 UTC 2010

On Thursday, August 05, 2010 04:50:57 pm mike at grounded.net wrote:
> So my next step is having to read up on what it takes to build a backend
> because that's an option I didn't see on any of the install disks. The
> choices included run from cd and install mythtv but no mention of backend
> only.

You can install a full Myth and only use the backend or the frontend portion of it.

I seem to recall that Mythdora had a frontend option only, at least it used to.

> Also important is what distro I pick. Since I can only install knoppmyth on
> that front end workstation, does this mean I should stick to the same
> distro for each of the backend machines?

I'd find out why you can't install anything but Knoppmyth, whatever is causing that is bound to rear it's head sooner or
later and bite you.

I'd start with the forums for whatever particular distribution is not working, and see if anyone else has had the same
problems.

Just about any Linux distribution *should* install on commonplace hardware, if it doesn't, I'd bet the folks responsible
for that distro would want to know about it, if they don't already.

You might start with lspci, lshw or simply cat-ing /proc files (cpuinfo, interrupts etc.) to get a clear picture of your
hardware, for reporting installation failure to the distro makers.