[mythtv-users] Small Form Factor Frontend

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Aug 5 22:53:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, August 5, 2010 10:40 pm, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday, August 05, 2010 04:36:18 pm Chuck Peters wrote:
>> http://i.dell.com/resize.aspx/optiplex-780-usff-aio_500/149/100
>>
>> I would like something small and quiet and the Dell Optiplex 780 Ultra
>> Small form factor look nice, but at $980 is also seems about double what
>> it should cost.  It would be nice to hide the machine behind the
>> monitor.
>> Has anyone built small form factors with the stands like that?  What
>> parts
>> did you use?
>
> The Acer Aspire Revo 1600 is a popular frontend machine. They go for $200,
> though I have seen some refurbs for less.
>
> There are some similar ION-based units that can mount to VESA hardware,
> I'll let others speak to them, I've only used the
> Revo.

I've been kicking around the concept of a mini-myth:

The backend would only serve up h264 videos, and the frontend would
consist of Roku.  The backend would be an Openwrt wifi AP with a large hd
that would sync with the master backend, and update itself with newer
recordings.

This would work for mobile or remote (workshed, etc) applications.

This is more of a roku question but anyone thinking along the same lines?

--
If you have eight hours to chop down a tree
spend six sharpening your axe.