[mythtv-users] Output to h.264

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Thu Aug 5 20:05:45 UTC 2010

On 08/05/2010 10:00 AM, mike at grounded.net wrote:
> I have a WINTV-NOVA-HD-S2 DVB-S2 Tuner Card which I'd like to try as a
> replacement to a Traxis FTA receiver I'm playing with.
> Finally, I have an Hauppauge HVR-1600 WinTV card for local TV along with cameras and other things I have modulated on my local coax.
>
> Not sure what else I should add as information.
>
> Mike

Your blade servers, at 850MHz each, would be okay for MythTV backends,
as long as the capture of video isn't CPU-intensive.  Your DVB-S2 card
just streams the digital stream from satellite directly into MythTV, and
then to hard drive, so you're good there.  The HVR-1600 features a
hardware MPEG-2 encoder for the analog inputs, so it doesn't draw any
CPU resources either, so you should be good there, too.

For the cameras, if you want to integrate them into a MythTV system, you
would need a way to get the video from the camera into the computer.  I
assume they aren't IP cameras, but rather have the normal composite
video output.  You could set up analog capture cards for each camera.
Make sure you use cards with hardware MPEG-2 encoding, like the
Hauppauge PVR-150 or HVR-1600.  You *could* then configure MythTV to
treat these as video sources, available in the electronic program guide
as another channel.

But a better approach is to setup ZoneMinder for your cameras, which is
a separate product from MythTV.  It uses motion detection, and records
video clips to disk whenever it sees motion.  You can also monitor the
live feed if desired.  MythTV has support for integration with
ZoneMinder. It would appear as a different menu item in the MythTV
frontend, separate from the live TV or recordings menus.  From a MythTV
frontend, you could view recorded motion detection events, or view the
live camera feed.

To get the full functionality of MythTV, you *need* to install a MythTV
frontend on a device at each TV.  UPnP is okay for browsing video files
for playback, but you don't get anywhere near the full power of a MythTV
system.  I think you will probably need to accept the fact that a MythTV
STB is going to cost more than those $30 ebay items you listed.  A good
MythTV STB is an Acer Aspire Revo, at around $200 each.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin