[mythtv-users] Output to h.264

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Thu Aug 5 17:00:36 UTC 2010

> How do you want to output to the network? Export as a UPnP server? Do you
> want to connect to the Myth frontend via a
> remote desktop protocol?

Actually, yes, this also. I would like to be able to view the video from any PC and any set top box on the lan.

> I would look into that, there is no reason a modern Linux distro shouldn't
> install on reasonably common hardware, can you
> tell what the problem seems to be?

I've tried mythbuntu and mythdora and neither one installs. There are no errors, they simply do not install. After a while, the cdrom goes silent and it's over. Knoppmyth however, does install fully and I do end up with a working system.
The first problem I've been trying to solve is not getting any video out of the s-video port of the nvidia 5200 card I had handy to build this system with.

> Perhaps some details of your system, and any error messages you get when
> you try to install?

It should be a pretty standard system. I just used old desktop hardware I had laying around. I believe it is a via chipset motherboard, 2.8Ghz, 1GB of memory.
I have the nvidia fx5200 card I think it is for display.
I have a WINTV-NOVA-HD-S2 DVB-S2 Tuner Card which I'd like to try as a replacement to a Traxis FTA receiver I'm playing with.
Finally, I have an Hauppauge HVR-1600 WinTV card for local TV along with cameras and other things I have modulated on my local coax.

Not sure what else I should add as information.

Mike