[mythtv-users] Can't get it to work

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 03:42:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Mark Tiddens <tiddens at jumpingdolphins.com>wrote:

>  I'm trying to find a Linux alternative to the WinTV7 software that gets
> all channels, including clear QAM channels numbering in the thousands.
> WinTV7 was simple to set up, and gets these channels.  TVtime works, but
> doesn't get these channels.
>
> I've spent many hours trying to get MythTV to work, and I am fairly
> computer-literate.  I am trying to get it to work on a system using Ubuntu
> 9.10 and the Hauppauge 950Q USB stick (which works great on my Windows
> machine with their WinTV7 software, and also works on my Ubuntu machine with
> TVtime).  I have read everything and tried everything.  One question is if
> MythTV really requires a subscription to SchedulesDirect to use MythTV?
> WinTV7 doesn't require this.
>
> Anyway, I was getting the error message* Re: Mythtv is using all inputs,
> but there are no active recordings*, and read and tried everything on the
> Internet about this.  I noticed that scanning or fetching TV channels
> wouldn't work, so I signed up with SchedulesDirect to see if this would
> help, even though I don't want to be forced to sign up and pay for this
> service.  And now when I run Mythtv and try "Watch TV" it says "Please W…"
> and then goes back to the menu.

Well, let me say this first.  This thread is a mess of Windows vs. Linux and
alot of other non-relevant stuff that really hasn't been helpful to you.
 Windows 7 was easy to set up because, well, it's Windows.  I'm glad that
you had an application working there (and not sure why you switched other
than wanting a Linux alternative).  That being said, you should really be
somewhat familiar with Linux before jumping into this because one of the
major steps to getting MythTV (and application) working on Linux (your
operating system) is that your hardware works *in Linux* before you try to
layer an application on top of it.  This means proper drivers (as Devin
offered help with and you should take him up on) and a working operating
system (this is where you permissions come in).

With that being said, regarding QAM, the fact that you receive channels in
Windows is excellent.  This means you have access to some unencrypted QAM
content (despite everyones warnings about the dire state of QAM).  You've
proven you have content to receive, now you need the hardware and app
support in Linux to view it.

You *do* have to scan for channels in MythTV.  You can test your channel
scanning outside of Myth using the dvb-utilities included with your choice
of distribution/OS.  This wiki page :
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Adding_Digital_Cable_Channels_(For_ATSC/QAM_Tuner_Cards_--_USA/Canada)#Scanning_for_channels
has
some great examples of how to do this outside of MythTV to confirm you have
everything working.  If those steps work in Section 2, then you should be
able to run the channel scanner in mythtv-setup and find your channels.

The SchedulesDirect piece is important because once you have channels in
your setup, then you need to populate them with guide information.
 Microsoft/Windows have footed the bill for you to get this data on Windows
which is why it "just works" in Windows Media Center.  Linux does not.  And
as such, you need SchedulesDirect to provide that information.  It is
usually straightforward using SchedulesDirect to match channels to your
guide data.  The frontend channel editor :
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_Channel_Editor can help in situations
where there is trouble.

Part of the problem that it appears to me you're running into is a lack of
understanding about the OS you've chosen to run your app on.  You're going
to have a hard time troubleshooting when you don't understand the "Linux
way" and need assistance finding your log files, knowing how to set
permissions, and other things that are required to run an app like MythTV on
your OS.  You're also going to be maintaining your own MySQL database and
have many other OS level things that need to be done.  If you're prepared,
great.  I hope that this information helps you on your way.  If not, it's
going to be a struggle and you may want to stick to an all-in-one
distribution like Mythbunutu and seek help on their support forums rather
than the general MythTV list where people are expecting a bit more
understanding of the system you've chosen.

Thanks,
Kevin