[mythtv-users] Update of Links in HOWTO - Help Needed

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 21:04:05 UTC 2010

Trying to do a little give-back to the project.

If you know SchedulesDirect, are a gamer, use Mandriva or know of
a good file system benchmark site, please read on.

I've audited the 81 links in the MythTV HOWTO sections.  Of those,
15 failed.  This was done from a script only researching the URLs
that failed a wget.

My system is running trunk @ 25516.

I tried to put enough information here so that anyone commenting
wouldn't have to look up anything. The HOWTOs are also available
at: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/

I've resolved 9 links, but could use some Myth wisdom on the
following 6:

+++ In File mythtv-HOWTO-9.html:  SchedulesDirect

  http://datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com/tvlistings/xtvdService

  This link is part of a mythfilldatabase log file example.

  Shouldn't this really be:
  webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com
  (taken from my mythfilldatabase.log file.)  Or, perhaps the entire
  section should be deleted since it deals with "404 Unauthorized"
  errors from zap2it.

+++ In File mythtv-HOWTO-16.html: Gamers

  http://x.mame.net/download/xmame-0.103.tar.bz2

  This link was for downloading xmame.

  Suggest: Remove link (and following wget), change text to
  download via web at: http://mamedev.org/release.html

  Possible replacement?: http://gxmame.sourceforge.net

+++ In File mythtv-HOWTO-16.html: Gamers

  http://www.catver.com

  This link was the 1st of 2 choices for downloading
  catver.ini.

  Suggest removing reference to link and using an already
  corrected mameworld link.

+++ In File mythtv-HOWTO-16.html: Gamers

  http://www.classicgaming.com/mame32qa

  This link was for downloading 'Screenshots aka "snaps"'.

  I can't find a replacement for it.  Any suggestions?

+++ In File mythtv-HOWTO-17.html: Mandriva

  http://addmedia.linuxfornewbies.org

  This link was for downloading urpmi for Mandriva.

  Is there a known site for downloading urpmi?

  If only instructions are required, then suggest:
  http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/urpmi and remove downloading
  the from the text.

+++ In File mythtv-HOWTO-24.html: File System Benchmark

  http://aurora.zemris.fer.hr/filesystems/big.html

  This link was for files system benchmarks.

  Site fer.he/en exists, but searches for XFS (or even Linux)
  returned nothing.  Found an old (2006) link:

  Need: The Definitive Benchmark Article for Linux File Systems,
  I actually googled for that text, 10K hits, none helped, at
  least on the 1st page.

  Or, use: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/File_storage#File_systems
  and remove the benchmark reference.

I'll write a patch and create a ticket with credits of course.

Thanks for reading this far,

Bill Meek