[mythtv-users] "Archiving" scheduling recordings

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Mon Aug 2 23:20:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Terence Ripperda <ripperda at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a mythtv setup where I use a combination of a local disk and an NAS
> for storage.
>
> I use the local disk for recordings off the air, and the NAS storage for
> videos ripped from disk. I don't necessarily want to keep all of my
> scheduled recordings, but would like to select some of them to archive to
> the NAS for long term storage (as if I had gotten a dvd and ripped it). I've
> looked around, but haven't seen any data on how to do this.
>
> Is the best way to manually copy the files over and rescan the videos? Is
> there an easy way to associate a recording with the file on disk?

It's a bit of a kludge, but setting up another storage group on the
NAS and just moving the file there will work, because MythTV will
search all available storage groups for a file if it's not in the one
it expects.

Other than that, I believe there is a script on the Wiki somewhere
which is designed to export a recording to MythVideo, complete with
sensible metadata based file naming.

- Chris