[mythtv-users] semi-OT question about serial port on DirecTV D10

Harrison T. neptune.h at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 01:08:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Scott Harris <mythtv at webhounds.net> wrote:

> Howdy all,
> Is there any way to debug the serial port on a DirectTV D10?  it is the
> little phone line type, I think it is called a RJ-22.

*
As far as I'm aware--no (there might be though, but I haven't run across how
to do it).  And yes, it's a 4P4C or RJ-22 jack.*

> I've swapped out all the cables to a working system and all is fine.  I've
> had these fail before, and I assume due to heat.

*Have you tried performing a Red-Button Reset by any chance?*

> Is there some device I can hook up to verify the port on the DirectTV unit
> still works?  Or any other ideas?

*I've had issues in the past with mine, and ended up having to seriously
tweak my directv.pl script to get anything to work.  Are you able to get
anything out of the box at all?

If you have a Windows box, give this software a try (it's free):
http://www.dtvcontrol.com**/
I was able to get this to work even when I couldn't get anything to work
between the D10 and the MythTV system.  This will at least help us determine
if the connection is good and if the port is working.

Quick question:  What revision of the box do you have?  There are three
different versions, depending on who actually made the box.  You should have
either a D10-100, D10-200 or D10-300.  They are all controlled just a bit
differently IIRC.
*

> Thanks,
>
> Scott