[mythtv-users] Real time commflagging of 1080i material from hdpvr

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Apr 29 01:00:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 09:54 -0400, Derek & Cindi Cass wrote:
> Is anybody able to do realtime commflagging of 1080i material from a
> hdpvr?  I currently have an amd athlon x2 @ 2.7ghz, and I can manage
> to get 720p content flagged real time at just over 70fps.  However, if
> I have 1080i source material, the commflagging drops to around 20fps
> and so the commflag job runs for a long time after the program is
> over.  This is fine for the shows that we aren’t going to watch right
> away, but for things like football of hockey, I want to start watching
> the game about an hour after it starts.  The problem is that I catch
> up to and then pass the commflagger while watching the show.
<snip>
> Newegg has a Boxed Phenom II x4 @ 2.8ghz for only $99 shipped.
<snip>

This won't help much since the extra cores will not be used when
decoding hdpvr material. But if you are adventurous I wrote a patch
last year to speed up blank frame detection in mythcommflag. It
didn't produce the same results as the existing algorithm and I
didn't have the analysis tools to tell if it was more or less
correct than the current algorithm.

The patch is on this ticket:
  http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6824

I can't promise it will even apply anymore. For even more
speed search for:

#if 0 /* blank detector needs to be only

In programs/mythcommflag/main.cpp and change the "#if 0" to "#if 1".

-- Daniel