[mythtv-users] IOBOUND errors after kernel upgrade from 2.6.31 to 2.6.32

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 16:42:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:08 AM, faginbagin <mythtv at hbuus.com> wrote:
> I wonder if this article about issues with ext4 performance might explain
> your IOBOUND problems:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ext4_then_now
>
> It sounds to me like ext4 isn't quite mature enough. I think I'm going to
> stick with ext3 for the OS and DB in the foreseeable future. FWIW, I've been
> using jfs for recordings since I started with myth in 2007 and haven't had
> any problems with it and see no reason to change.
>
> HTH,
> Helen

I'm not using EXT3 for the OS or the database, just for the LVM with
my recordings etc.  My OS is still on EXT3 and I have no plans on
changing that any time soon...especially since I tend to back up the /
and /boot partitions using the dump command.  From what I understand
that doesn't support EXT4.

I switched to EXT4 for recordings mainly so I can disable slow deleted
once all my older recordings are gone.

Again, my EXT4 recording partition works flawlessly on 2.6.31, so it's
hard to imagine it's a matter of EXT4 not being mature enough...unless
they somehow screwed up EXT4 in 2.6.32.

Tom