[mythtv-users] IOBOUND errors after kernel upgrade from 2.6.31 to 2.6.32

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 14:49:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:24 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks John!  I might just try that.  I was going to say that you'd be
>> pretty hard pressed to find any Gentoo user that configures the entire
>> kernel from the defaults in order to upgrade.  If that's how you had
>> to do it even I might quit Gentoo :D...and I'm a huge fanboy.  It's
>> not like the kernel make process is very likely to let an invalid
>> config get through or something.
>>
>> There's definitely something different in 2.6.32.  All those IOBOUND
>> errors do in fact go away when I reboot to 2.6.31.
>>

> I do not have 2.6.32 running on any of my mythtv boxes or any other
> machine that I can think of at the moment. However I do run 2.6.33 on
> several gentoo raid servers at work with ext4. I am not seeing any
> IOBOUND errors there.
>
> John

Interesting.  The fact is that my backend setup really isn't ideal in
that I have two disks LVMed together, but the non-LVM OS EXT3
partition with the MySQL database is in fact on one of those disks as
well.  That's the way it's always been and I'm not sure I could even
get away with adding a third disk to it (it's a Dell Dimension 4600).
Again, I've gotten away with that up until now, and I don't get
IOBOUNDS with 2.6.31, but it might not take much of a change to upset
the apple cart given that less-than-ideal setup.

I've always used the gentoo-sources kernels.  I suppose if I try it I
should use unmask the highest version in portage right now
(sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.33-r1)?  I've actually never used a
kernel that wasn't marked stable before.

Thanks again
Tom