[mythtv-users] GT-220 Users Share Your ALSA/mplayer Config SOLVED

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Apr 27 23:45:05 UTC 2010

On 4/26/2010 10:39 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> If you've got digital audio working with your GT-220, would you please
> share your ALSA and mplayer configs with me.
>
> MythTV playback works for me with a simple .asoundrc file:
>
> pcm.!default {
> type hw
> card 1
> device 3
> }
>
> And mplayer configured in the ~/.mplayer/config file:
>
> ao=alsa:device=hw=1.3
> ac=hwac3,hwdts,
>
> Will do AC3 and DTS pass-through.
>
> However, mplayer will *not* play files with MP3 or PCM audio. MythMusic
> *will* play MP3 files. But the internal player won't play MP3/PCM video
> files.
>
> I see the awesome and Byzantine ALSA config here:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Digital_Sound
>
> And I hope another kind soul has tweaked the details specific for a
> GT-220 and will share them here.

Installing the ALSA config file from the page above solved my issue.
After setting my ~/.mplayer/config as:

ao=alsa:device=mixed-digital

My MP3/PCM video files are now playing over the HDMI interface and I
still have AC3 and DTS pass-through. Joy.

I also installed the second half of the config file on that page that
enabled simultaneous analog and digital output. That solved *another*
issue I was having driving an amplifier for secondary room speakers that
needed an analog source. Double joy.