[mythtv-users] Case fan for M350 case

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Apr 27 14:09:11 UTC 2010

Brian Long wrote:

> The M350 is a tight case with the Zotac ION board having a clearance
> of just over 1cm between the heatsink and the outer shell.  They
> include 1 bracket which can hold up to two 40mm x 10mm fans or a
> 2.5-inch laptop disk.  I tried using a small 60mm x 10mm fan without
> the bracket, but even with silicone stand-offs between it and the
> heatsink, it was louder than the 40mm fans.
>
> I would love to figure out how to adapt a slow-moving 80mm fan (like
> an undervolted Nexus or Scythe) to the case, even if I had to mount it
> externally.  These M350 cases are nice, but I'd really like to keep
> the Atom + ION cooler.  I'm not as concerned with aesthetics since the
> cases are hidden in an entertainment center and a closet.  :-)

If your cases aren't visible, then why on earth did you go for something like a
M350? Why not just go for something that does the job rather than something
pretty? By "does the job" I mean: can hold your chosen motherboard and
peripherals; has room for the fans /you/ need to keep it cool (and quiet!); and
fits in the space available in your entertainment center and closet.

Cases like the M350 are for when your box has to be on view to the neighbours.

--

Mike Perkins