[mythtv-users] Real time commflagging of 1080i material from hdpvr

Derek & Cindi Cass cass at casscoenterprises.com
Tue Apr 27 13:54:30 UTC 2010

Is anybody able to do realtime commflagging of 1080i material from a hdpvr?
I currently have an amd athlon x2 @ 2.7ghz, and I can manage to get 720p
content flagged real time at just over 70fps.  However, if I have 1080i
source material, the commflagging drops to around 20fps and so the commflag
job runs for a long time after the program is over.  This is fine for the
shows that we aren't going to watch right away, but for things like football
of hockey, I want to start watching the game about an hour after it starts.
The problem is that I catch up to and then pass the commflagger while
watching the show.

Newegg has a Boxed Phenom II x4 @ 2.8ghz for only $99 shipped.  My mythbox
motherboard could handle this cpu so it's a cheap upgrade, but would the
extra horsepower allow me to do 1080i in realtime?  I don't do any
transcoding and I only run one commflag at a time (the hdpvr is the only
capture device I have and I commflag all shows as they record) and I use
vdpau, so my cpu overhead is quite low.  The only time the cpu is over 10%
is when a commflag job runs, which of course takes as much cpu as it can (as
is expected).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Derek

Link to the CPU on newegg should anyone be interested:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103704