[mythtv-users] Case fan for M350 case

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 12:47:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 7:51 AM, David Knight <dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> Have you looked at other case fans such as
>
> Noiseblocker BlackSilent Fan XM1 40mm -
> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-003-NB
>
> Fractal Design 40mm Silent Cooling Fan -
> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-004-FD
>
> Does it have to be 40mm? or can you fit larger fans? Sharkoon 80mm fans
> are pretty good and what I use in my HTPC with a 7v mod.

Dave,
The M350 is a tight case with the Zotac ION board having a clearance
of just over 1cm between the heatsink and the outer shell.  They
include 1 bracket which can hold up to two 40mm x 10mm fans or a
2.5-inch laptop disk.  I tried using a small 60mm x 10mm fan without
the bracket, but even with silicone stand-offs between it and the
heatsink, it was louder than the 40mm fans.

I would love to figure out how to adapt a slow-moving 80mm fan (like
an undervolted Nexus or Scythe) to the case, even if I had to mount it
externally.  These M350 cases are nice, but I'd really like to keep
the Atom + ION cooler.  I'm not as concerned with aesthetics since the
cases are hidden in an entertainment center and a closet.  :-)

/Brian/