[mythtv-users] 0.23 release

Chris Adams rocket at extremelan.net
Tue Apr 27 01:06:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 5:24 AM, Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
>> * On Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 02:28:05PM -0400, Brian Long wrote:
>>> I was wondering when the trigger will be pulled to say 0.23 is
>>> "released" and work can continue on 0.23-fixes, 0.24, Trunk, etc.  I
>>> noticed Trac says 10 bugs are still open on the 0.23 Milestone.  Will
>>> all 10 of then be closed before 0.23 is officially released?  I've
>>> seen lots of folks state that 0.23-fixes is fairly stable and even
>>> developers are recommending people move to it vs. 0.22.  If that's the
>>> case, why not release the GA tarball?
>>
>> What is currently in the 0.23-fixes branch is pretty much what will be in
>> 0.23.  There are no blockers, the only thing holding up an official
>> release is a logistical issue.  A lot of packagers are already following the
>> 0.23-fixes branch, and 0.23 will be cut from that branch, so if you want
>> 0.23, just upgrade to 0.23-fixes.  We've already begun putting a lot of
>> things into trunk that will not be backported to -fixes and are working
>> our way towards 0.24.
>>
>> For those itching to reply, 'logistical' is about all we'll say right
>> now.
>>
>>> I am just wondering how the new development cycle is working since RC1
>>> -> RC2 was a week apart, but it's been almost 1 month since RC2 was
>>> released.
>>
>> Right now a lot are recommending 0.23-fixes over 0.22-fixes because of
>> all the additional bugfixes that went in during the 0.23 cycle.
>>
>> --
>> Chris
>
> Thanks, Chris!  :)
>
> /Brian/

This question ("what's holding back the release?") gets asked quite regularly.
At least the list has moved on from "when will there be a release"
which is good - but I still think there needs to be something to point
to.

I created a Trac search for open issues where "Milestone" is "0.23"
and "Priority" is "blocker". It of course didn't show anything.

Can I suggest a similar search be created for 0.24, and the "blocker"
priority get used for everything critical to 0.24?

This way us plevs get to see see the release progress and devs get to
answer this question with a link. Who knows - people might even get
motivated to help out :)