[mythtv-users] MythExport - iPod Touch / iPhone Settings

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Apr 26 13:34:51 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 05:54:10PM +1000, Christopher Kerr wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 02:34 -0500, Douglas Wagner wrote:
> >> I am intrigued sir! :)
> >
> > Don't be
>

> >> So basically this is "download/compile this thing and it will xcode
> >> what you
> >> need for you."
> >
> > Yes, it takes any file, even DVDs, and spit a directly usable file for
> > your iPod Touch/iPhone via iTunes or whatever (gtkpod, etc...).
> >>
> >> is that basically what I'm hearing?
> >
> > Yes, very straightforward.
>
> You'll want to use Mythlink.pl (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl ) to create some human-readable
> filenames first. Then you can easily feed those through handbrake.
>
> Personally, I think the handbrake iPod Touch preset is wrong - it
> should be 320 pixels high and lock the aspect ratio, not 480 pixels
> wide. Why does this matter? Well, for movies which are presented in
> 2.11:1, fixing the width leaves you with only 228 pixels of vertical
> resolution, wasting about a third of the screen. Fixing the height at
> 320 still allows you to view the content that way if you so desire
> (except slightly horizontally cropped, because the iPod Touch can't
> handle videos wider than 640 pixels), but also allows you to view it
> "zoomed in" without any stretching.

    I ran into the same exact problem when my original more aggressive config
led to a file that was "too wide" because it was a widescreen recording that
was genuinely wider and not just anamorphic. It was an HD-PVR that was something
like 850x480. When that scaled at the right aspect ratio, iTunes refused to sync
it.