[mythtv-users] MythExport - iPod Touch / iPhone Settings

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 21:24:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 13:04 -0600, E. Westbrook wrote:
> > I find that making watchable videos for my Android phone is this
> > simple:
> >
> > $ ffmpeg -i inputfile.ext outputfile.mp4
> >
> > For me, ffmpeg's choices for encodings to that file extension are
> > fine, and
> > it hasn't failed to figure out the input formats for me yet.
> >
> > A little googling indicates that the files I get when doing that
> > (mpeg4v/aac
> > in a mpeg4 base container)
>
> Your Android device is not a choosy as an iPhone
>
> >  should be fine on your devices, but I wouldn't
> > know for certain.
>
> Very choosy.
>
> Nico

Thanks Nick F, I think between Handbrake, your link, and MythExport I'll be
able to get something accomplished.

Handbrake is working just fine in a Command Line format, seems a bit slow (2
hours of encoding for a 1 hour video) but I won't complain, time isn't my
concern at this point.  We'll see how the final video turns out before I
pass judgment however.

Of course handbrake is a great solution for the encoding, however it doesn't
give me the bells and whistles of MythExport (ipod feed, file delete, job
management, etc.)  That said I suspect mythexport is only a "wrapper" for
the real FFMPEG call that does the real conversion so I suspect if I get
crafty enough I can use MythExport to call out Handbrake instead of ffmpeg
and maybe get the whole thing wrapped up in a neat package.

We'll see how that step goes later tonight.

Thanks again to EVERYONE on the thread here so far for the help and
information.  My fears of having to spend 15 hours in a car listening to
"I'm bored!" every 2 minutes are quickly fading away. :)

--Doug