[mythtv-users] possible to set device priority for each channel?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 25 20:03:38 UTC 2010

On 04/25/2010 03:43 PM, Andrew wrote:
>>   The best approach is to remove any channels you don't want your HD-PVR to
>> record from your HD-PVR's video source.
>>
> The problem I have is that the video source for the HD-PVR and the HDHR are
> the same.

They shouldn't be.  A video source is a list of the channels available
on an input /and/ the tuning information for those channels.  Analog and
digital channels are always tuned differently, so can never share a
video source.

>    The HDHR pulls all the channels down the cable from mediacom and
> not over an OTA antenna.  The HDHR can pull all the unencrypted cables
> channels as well so I can use it for my entire line-up except for the 20-30
> encrypted.  For this reason I purchased the 1212 to just do those 30
> encrypted channels however I cannot seperate the 2 devices for encrypted or
> not encrypted for the life of me.
>
> If I add the OTA lineup from schedules direct, then most all the SD cables
> channels would not be in that lineup that are possible to record with the
> HDHR and its' two tuners.  I would like to use the HDHR for all the cable
> channels if possible.
>
> I realize I am not really using this by design, but if only there were
> profiles for channels that I could just select which devices can be used.  I
> know, complicated...

The 2 video sources for the HD-PVR and the HDHR /could/ use the same
lineup at Schedules Direct, but they can not be the same MythTV video
source.  You can have channels in your Schedules Direct lineup that are
not a part of your MythTV video source.  In the case of an analog
capture device (the HD-PVR), though, you'll need to ensure
mythfilldatabase runs with the --remove-new-channels argument.

So, in mythtv-setup under General add --remove-new-channels to the setting:

mythfilldatabase Arguments
Any arguments you want passed to the mythfilldatabase program.

Mike