[mythtv-users] narrow picture on playback

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Apr 24 22:59:16 UTC 2010

On 04/24/2010 05:03 PM, Peter Abplanalp wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> card:
>>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS,
>>> 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
>>>
>>> driver:
>>> xserver-xorg-video-intel

>>> that is a lot of output, is there something specific that would be
>>> helpful?  i will send everything if that's what you need.
>>>
>> All would be best.
>>
> see attached.  i hope the list allows attachments.

>>> i'll look over these, thanks!

>>> not using xinerama or anything like that.  this is a single latptop lcd
>>> display.
>>>
>> Most all laptops do on most distributions.  You know that VGA/DVI/HDMI
>> connector on the back of the laptop?  That's typically configured as a
>> separate screen.  Look at Appearance settings.  If you don't see those 2
>> settings, you don't have to worry about them.  Otherwise you /must/ set them
>> properly or you'll have exactly the issue you're having.
>>
> i didn't see the options available under setup->appearance.

In your xdpyinfo output:

> screen #0:
>    dimensions:    1280x800 pixels (289x21 millimeters)

which shows you have your screen configured with about a 14:1 aspect
ratio.  I'm sure your monitor isn't 14:1 physical dimensions, so you
need to fix your X configuration.  The Display Size link will give you
some info, but where/how you change for your distro is something you'll
likely have to get from others using your distro.

Fix that and MythTV will work like you want it.  (In other words, MythTV
is doing exactly what it should do at this point.)

Mike