[mythtv-users] Moving to HD

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 04:27:50 UTC 2010

Hi

On 23 April 2010 08:57, Thom Paine <painethom at gmail.com> wrote:

> Specs on the BE is a 2.8GHz P4 with 1G of ram, and about 2TB of hard
> drive space lvm'd over a few drives.
>
> Specs on the FE is an AMD 3GHz with 1G ram, 80G laptop drive, nVidia FX5200.
>
> My capture card in the BE is a Happauge 350. I realize I'll need to
> replace this to move to HD.
>
> With only picking up an HD card for the BE, would I be able to move to
> HD on my system and have it work ok?

The back-end will be okay (despite being slow).

Your front end however will struggle, especially if you intend to
watch data coming from the HDPVR.

As you have a nVidia FX5200, I'm assuming it's an AGP motherboard, so
you can forget all the other suggestions of upgrading your video card
and use VDPAU. There aren't any VDPAU-capable card for that kind of
motherboard.

You are probably better off switching to a cheap ION based machine,
for around $200 you will be able to do anything and the power savings
will pay itself within a few years.

Jean-Yves