[mythtv-users] Can anyone help with setting up a GP-IR02BK remote?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Thu Apr 22 18:46:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 1:26 PM,  <gustietodd at thefoolery.com> wrote:
> I recently bought a GP-IR02BK remote to use with my new mythbuntu install.
>  Somewhere I'd gotten the idea that it wouldn't be too difficult to set it
> up, but I'm not having much luck with it.

You don't say what you want to do with it.   That device can both
accept input to control the operation of MythTV AND output IR signals
(blasting) to control other external devices.    If you want to
control external devices, you need a development version of lirc and
kernel modules as of a couple of weeks ago.   I suspect that anything
which comes from a distribution isn't going to be new enough.  Whether
or not IR blasting works may also be dependent on the USB controller
you have in your computer.   I've gotten tests of blasting working
with that device to work on 2 out of 3 computers that I've tried.
The failing computer is AMD based with an nVidia chipset.   Jarod (a
lirc developer) thinks that at least some nVidia controllers have
problems doing IR blasting with this device.  You can do a:

lspci | grep -i USB

to see whose USB controller is in your computer.   If it turns out to
be nVidia and you want to do blasting, you probably want to consider
other options.   Or at least expect to spend some time helping
developers debug the problem.

I don't know if IR reception is dependent on a development version of
lirc as that isn't why I bought the unit.  Nor do I run
mythbuntu.

Bill Bogstad