[mythtv-users] "background" balancing disks in a storage group

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Apr 22 12:24:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 19:36 -0400, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> Nothing exists like this currently.  We have talked about the idea
> previously, in fact I have a patch which adds code to the JobQueue
> to do the actual file migration.

Nice.  But the actual migration is the easy part.  As I surmised, that
could be done completely external to mythbackend.

The real secret is in having the migration factor into the storage
directory weightings and more importantly, having it planned for known
idle times (i.e. so looking to the upcoming schedule for slots of time
long enough to migrate a recording) and most importantly, the ability to
pause or cancel a migration in the case of unexpected i/o bandwidth
demands due to something new being added to the schedule.

> There are a bunch of other things
> on my TODO list that are higher priority that this though.

Yeah, fair enough.  Just throwin' it out there.

> Your only option right now is to use the new 'balance
> disk space' option for Storage Groups in 0.22 and above, or to balance
> things manually yourself

Indeed.  Probably (hopefully) in the real world there are enough
instances of only recording a single thing at a time to help keep the
disk space balanced.

b.