[mythtv-users] Comcast bricked my HDHR above 33 - Los Gatos - 95032

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 23:09:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 15:26, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just reporting in.
>>
>> Looks like Comcast converted everything in Los Gatos (SF Bay Area)
>> above channel 33 last night to encrypted. So far as I can tell only my
>> low channels got recorded last night, everything above channel 33
>> didn't record. I've reset everything by hand today but none of it
>> works recording above 33. Myth Live TV only works up to channel 33.
>> Nothing else seems to play. Live TV says 96% signal strendth on
>> Channel 63 (Comedy Central here) and lists the program but nothing
>> starts playing. The channels af course work on the STB.
>
> I just checked and I can confirm that. I'm not in Los Gatos, but right
> on the line between LG and San Jose.
> I also get signal strength of 96% on channels like 36 (FX) but no lock.
>
> Are you sure that they are now encrypted and not a particular problem?
>
> That just sucks. Just when I got all my BE back up and running, they
> had to do this.
>
> (I'm glad I got Damages finale recorded!)
>
> --
> Brad Fuller
> +1 (408) 335-0112

Hi Brad,
   I cannot say for sure there isn't some other problem but I also
cannot explain why all 3 of my STBs (2 areDTA's) would tune channels
but the HDHR doesn't. Seems like it's finally happened.

   If I can find the info to rerun scte65scan and understand what
channels it says are encrypted then I'll do that.

   I was at Fry's about 10 days ago and talked to a guy from Dish
Network. They currently have an HDTV system that includes 4 receivers,
but they will let you change two receivers into two HDTV recorders,
That would give us two TVs instead of three that we have today, and
two channels recorded in HD which is what I get with the HDHR. Their
new STBs allow me to watch what I record on other Dish STBs so that's
like MYth, and I think he said I can watch on my PC also. It costs
about $38 to start and then jumps $53 after 1 year. That's far cheaper
than I'm paying for Comcast today and that assumes Comcast won't raise
prices.

   If I just dump Comcast completely and settle for my Verizon DSL
line then I don't pay Comast the stinking $140/month I'm paying now
and give $40 to Dish instead.

- Mark