[mythtv-users] dump/import watched show list?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 21 16:34:06 UTC 2010

On 04/21/2010 09:55 AM, Robert wrote:
> I've had a mythtv system at home for a while, and recently installed on at my
> parents house as well. I set it up to record some of my favorite shows so I
> can watch them when I visit.  Unfortunately, it's recording a lot of old
> episodes I've already seen.  I do want it to record old episodes, so I can
> catch shows I missed in earlier seasons. But I don't want to have to manutally
> go through all these episodes and try an remember which I've seen.
>
> What I'd like to do is dump the relevant info from the database for watched
> shows on my home system to a usb stick, then be able to import that data into
> the watched shows at my parents house and delete anything from that list that's
> already be recorded.
>
> I can cook up the script myself, if someone who knows the database schema can
> point me in the right direction for (a) dumping recorded shows and (b) finding
> and deleting those shows.

I'd recommend you don't do any direct DB editing.  Instead, write a
script using the Python bindings (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Python_bindings ), that you run at your home
to get the information on old recordings (and potentially current
not-watched/not-deleted recordings) and dump that to a file.

Then on your parents system, you can run the script and have it search
the recordings and identify shows from the list in the file and (ask for
verification, then) send a request to their backend to delete the show.

If you delete shows from the database directly, you'll almost definitely
leave garbage around.  The backend deletes everything properly.

Mike